Omeka is an open-source web application that can be used to create and display online digital collections. Developed by programmers at George Mason University, Omeka is designed to be user-friendly, both during installation and afterward. Setting up Omeka on your own domain can be done by following these steps:
- To get started you’ll need to login to your control panel through the application portal. Use your network login id and password.
- Once logged in you’ll be at the homepage of your control panel. Navigate the Applications section of the cPanel and click on the Omeka icon.
- This page gives you more information about the Omeka software. To begin the install click install this application in the upper-righthand corner.
- On the next page the installer will ask for some information about this install. The first thing to do is decide where to install it. If you’re wanting to install Omeka on your main domain, you can leave the directory area empty. If you created a subdomain, you can select it from the dropdown menu. You also have the option of installing Omeka in a subfolder by typing in the folder name in the Directory field. Please see the guide Setting Up Subdomains(http://help.bergbuilds.domains/domain-management/setting-up-subdomains) for directions, should you wish to install Omeka within a subdomain.
- Accept the Installer's default settings and accept the End User License Agreement (EULA) after reviewing it. By default the installer will automatically backup the Omeka site and update it anytime a new version of the Omeka software is released. It is recommended to keep this option.